Monday, February 28, 2011

Scrubbies

 Several years ago I began crocheting scrubbies. They have always been a big hit with my family. Crocheted from nylon netting (also know as crinoline the material petticoats are made from) scrubbies are perfect for all of your pans, even those with protective coatings. You can wash scrubbies in your washing machine with Clorox, they are very durable and nothing works as well on hard to clean pots and pans. Once you have given scrubbies a try I am sure you will be a fan too. : )

To begin you must cut your nylon netting into 2” wide strips. At first I found this the most challenging step; nylon netting has a way of slipping about. Somewhere along the way I began pinning my neatly folded material to the carpet. I would then mark every 2” with a black marker and cut.


Using a size 9/I crochet hook chain 4. Slip stitch to first chain to form a ring.

Round 1: Chain 2, 6 dc (double crochet) in ring. Sl st (slip stitch) to first chain.

Round 2: Chain 2, dc in same space, 2 dc in each dc of previous round. (I always add one extra dc, as I feel there is a space between where I began and where I am to end. There should be a total of 15 sts counting the first two chains as a dc.) Sl st to first chain.

Round 3: Chain 2, dc in same space, 2 dc in each dc of previous round.

Round 4: Chain 1, sc (single crochet) in each dc of previous round. Sl st to first chain.

Round 5: Chain 2, dc in each sc of previous round. Sl st to first chain.

Round 6: Chain 2, dc in every other dc of previous round.

Round 7: Chain 2, dc in every other dc of previous round.

You will now have a small opening in the back of your scrubbie. I simply slip stitch from one side of the opening into the other side 2-3 times. Cut material and draw material through the loop on your hook. Pull excess material into the inside of the scrubbie, I do this by pushing my hook through the front of the scrubbie and drawing the excess material through to the inside.

6 comments:

  1. I still have mine, the one you sent to me last year, I love it, I really LIKE your colors, BRIGHT AND BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would love for you to be a part of the growing community at dwellonlovely.com. Blessings! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Your website in lovely! Philippians 4:8 is one of my favorite verses. May the LORD bless your ministry.

    In Jesus,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, these look almost too lovely to use!
    What pretty colours you've chosen.
    I wish I could crochet :-(
    Perhaps my sister will teach me when she visits next month!
    These would be kinder on the hands than what I currently use.
    Thank you for the instructions :-)
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish,
    I hope you have a wonderful visit with your sister! I am sure that you will enjoy learning to crochet; over the years I found it a very pleasurable hobby.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never crocheted a "scrubbie" before! What a great idea! I will have to give it a go!
    I found my way to your blog from "angel wings and apron strings". It is lovely and you have some very nice items!

    ReplyDelete